Is it too early to start talking about Christmas yet? Not for us. This time of year brings increased demand for good people in many sectors, retail, beauty, catering and hospitality. Christmas brings the annual surge in spending across the high street and in the leisure industry. Anyone who’s visited a gym in January can’t deny that even gym membership is seasonal!
Unless your name is Santa Claus and you have an abundance of little helpers ready to work extra hours, you may need to hire some temporary Christmas staff. Many industries hire temporary workers in the run-up to the festive season and there are plenty of people who are happy just to work during this period for one reason or another.
If you want to recruit temporary staff for Christmas, here’s what you need to do
- It is important to remember that temporary staff have legal rights the same as permanent employees. You the employer have legal obligations to your temporary workers. Employment legislation such as minimum wage needs to be adhered to. You can get more advice on these aspects of employment law at http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4587
- Seasonal workers can be a positive influence on your company. Most enjoy working during busy, festive periods and their enthusiasm can be of great benefit both to your customers and to your permanent employees. Marginalising temporary employees by treating them as if they are not a legitimate part of the team can be a missed opportunity to inject some welcome festive cheer into your business.
- Look at your temporary staff as on audition for a permanent role. Having the chance to try someone out on a temporary basis can be a great way of finding a superstar. Give your temp workers a chance to shine and you could uncover a real gem. Learn more about our Temp2Perm solutions
- Depending on what they are going to be doing, temporary team members may need as much onboarding as a permanent employee. You can’t expect a new employee, whether temp or permanent, to know instantly how you do things, especially in a customer-facing role. While temps always have a welcome breadth of experience to draw on and are good at adapting to new environments, if you need things done a specific way then you need to invest some time showing them the ropes. Temp workers are good, but they’re not psychic!
We have many years’ experience in supporting beauty, spa, retail and leisure businesses by finding, placing and retaining quality temporary and permanent staff in leisure jobs. If you know that your business is about to enter a busy and profitable period and you are in need of some of Santa’s little helpers to help support this, then get in touch.
We can help you by supplying……
- Beauty retail staff
- Health and fitness professionals
- Catering and hospitality staff
- Leisure sales staff