Head Greenkeeper required in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
Direct responsibility for the day-to-day management of the golf course and driving range maintenance department, facilities, equipment and employees. To improve and maintain the golf course and driving range outfield conditions to the highest possible standard utilizing all available resources. To motivate and lead the team to achieve the required standard. Always looking for opportunities to enhance the product and in turn increase revenue potential of the property. Manage costs within the agreed budgets.
- To actively participate in the numerous tasks required in the maintenance of the property. These will include mowing, hole-changing, divot-filling, bunker raking, aerating, top dressing, fertilising, watering, spraying and pest control etc.
- To organise and participate in project works such as green, tee and bunker renovation, turfing, seeding, path work, irrigation, drainage and fairway renovations etc.
- Understand fertiliser and pesticide rates, calibrations and maintain records. Maintain up to date spraying qualifications.
- Maintain the effective operation of the irrigation system.
- Maintain accurate up to date company and all staff training records.
- To operate all the golf course equipment and golf buggies, including servicing and repair schedules.
- To maintain an organized clean working environment at all times.
- To participate in and supervise the maintenance of all golf course operations, soil processing and general maintenance work to include around the clubhouse and maintenance buildings.
- Monitor turf quality, including checking for pests, diseases, soil moisture and thatch levels. Produce action plans to remedy poor turf situations.
- To present the driving range outfield to the highest possible standard. This includes routine work throughout the year to maintain and improve the grass on the outfield.
- To organise and manage the collection of driving range golf balls. This includes both manual and mechanical collections depending on the conditions at the time.
- To ensure the quality of the driving range balls are maintained, removing from circulation any worn balls and working with the Head Professional to order new stock as required.
- To identify and problem solve areas for improvement.
- Prepares maintenance plans for the general manager on a monthly basis.
- Understand and implement the agreed plans within budgeted costs.
- To work inline with the company objectives surrounding sustainability. To seek out opportunities to improve our impact in this area.
- To maintain and update records for the On Course GEO accreditation and to maintain certification.
- Provide long-term strategy for the golf course to increase revenue potential.
- To complete the ordering and purchasing of materials and maintain the required accounts and records.
- To lead, train and motivate staff individually and as a team.
- Maintain good communication between all departments, management and staff.
- The recruitment and induction of all new employees for the department as per company policy.
- Implement all company human resource policies and procedures including holiday and absence tracking.
- Responsible for the efficiency and productivity of the department meeting the needs of the business.
- Organization of employees to ensure all tasks are communicated and training procedures completed.
- To actively motivate and lead the team to accomplish the agreed business plan and achieve budget targets.
- Review weekly invoices and verify correct coding of expenses by account and timely processing of invoices.
- Carry out administrative duties.
- Keep abreast of modern golf course management techniques.
- Complies with BGL personnel policies and procedures and health and safety procedures
- To undertake any further duties as requested by the management.
We expect all our staff to strive to:
- Maintain open and honest communication with our customers, both internal and external, at all times.
- Create and have a positive impact on our local community. Supporting regular neighbourhood events and working closely with society.
- Protect and nurture our environment, consider everything from alternative work methods through to maintaining and supporting our local wildlife.
- Support each other in everything we do, recognise and develop each individuals potential.
- Take complete ownership of their own actions and have pride in what they do.
- Deliver to our customer’s consistent high levels of service, quality and value in everything we do
- Look for alternatives to what we do seeking out and exploiting natural resources.
- Regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. Employee is regularly required to stand and walk outdoors.